Executive Function Coaching FAQ'S
What is executive function ?
According to the Center on the Develping Child at Harvard University, “Executive function and self-regulation skills are the mental processes that enable us to plan, focus attention, remember instructions, and juggle multiple tasks successfully. Just as an air traffic control system at a busy airport safely manages the arrivals and departures of many aircraft on multiple runways, the brain needs this skill set to filter distractions, prioritize tasks, set and achieve goals, and control impulses.”
How does your executive function coaching work?
To answer this question, we need to make four points:
(1) Our approach is to teach executive function skills in the context of the current work load at school.
(2) Especially with AP course, honors courses and college courses, we will offer a tutor who has advanced academic competence in the relevant areas (STEM subjects and/or humanities), not an "executive function" generalist.
(3) In our approach, executive function coaching is a special type of homework coaching. It is special because the following skills are particularly emphasized:
- organizing, planning and the logical elements of prioritizing
- recognizing when it is time to get started, and understanding how to avoid procrastinating
- creating and maintaining systems to keep track of information
- shifting / thinking flexibly without losing the organizational context
- active integration of new learning into existing learning (“working memory")
- self-monitoring / self-checking
(4) We believe that executive function homework coaching requires two or three sessions per week. The tutor must be privy to the entire flow of academic challenges. The tutor needs to stay current with all homework assignments. With two or three sessions per week,
- long-term assignments can be “chunked” and not left for the night before they are due
- strategies for retaining and retrieving the material being studied can be taught and strengthened
- tolerable and positive stress can managed, dealt with as a normal and essential part of healthy development and distinguished from toxic stress
█►For more details or to schedule your first session, please call 781-652-9649 or click here to send us an email.
©2012 Lexington Tutoring, LLC.
Lexington Tutoring, LLC is a Massachusetts Limited Liability Company organized under the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
All content on lexingtontutoring.com belongs to Lexington Tutoring, LLC and may not be reproduced without our prior written consent. All of lexingtontutoring.com's content is protected under U.S. and international copyright laws. The material on our website may be reproduced for use by a single user only. You may not modify, retransmit, sell, or copy any of our content in any way. Lexington Tutoring, LLC reserves the right to change the reproduction policy at any time without prior notice.